- The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States and who have not previously had a middle grade or young adult novel published
- Writers who have published work in venues such as children’s magazines or picture books, or adult fiction or nonfiction, are eligible. Only unagented manuscripts will be accepted.
- Work that has been published in its entirety in any format (including online and self publishing as well as other countries) is not eligible. Manuscripts previously submitted to TU BOOKS will not be considered.
- Manuscripts should address the needs of children of color by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another.
- Submissions may be fantasy, SCIENCE FICTION, or MYSTERY for children ages 12 to 18. Realistic stories without a mystery or speculative component will not be considered.
- Submissions should include a synopsis of the story plus the first five (5) chapters, accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any. Do not send the entire manuscript.
- Manuscripts should be printed in a clear 12-point font, double-spaced, on 8½” x 11″ paper. Submissions will not be returned, so do not submit your only copy.
- Up to two submissions per entrant. Each submission should be submitted separately.
- Submissions should be clearly addressed to:
- TU BOOKS
95 Madison Avenue, Suite 1205
New York, NY 10016
ATTN: NEW VOICES AWARD
- Manuscripts may not be submitted to other publishers or to TU BOOKS general submissions while under consideration for this award. TU BOOKS is not responsible for late, lost, or incorrectly addressed or delivered submissions.
Dates for Submission: Manuscripts will be accepted from June 1, 2014, through October 31, 2014, and must be postmarked within that period.