Carina Press Not-at-Nationals Pitch Session
This may be of interest for those of you wanting to pitch your book (it has to be a finished manuscript) to Carina Press.
Here’s a link to the directions on how to submit for three days, starting today (July 23rd to July 27th)
*****I saw a blog post on the Carina site where someone asked if previously pubbed books were eligible, and the answer was yes*****
PITCH CONTEST INSTRUCTIONS
Authors are invited to pitch their 200 word (maximum) query and first 100 words or first paragraph for submission. The contest will run from July 23 – July 27 – pitches submitted after this date will not be considered. Please check back on the blog! You must submit your pitch with a valid email address. Authors whose pitches are chosen will be contacted via email. Editors will request materials from authors by July 28. Send your submission no later than July 31, 2014 midnight Eastern. The link you receive will expire after that, and you will be unable to submit via this route. Good luck to all!
ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE:
1) A complete, ready-to-send, manuscript that falls within the commercial fiction genres that we publish. (Please view our submissions guidelines here)
2) You must be prepared to send your manuscript within 3 days of the Carina Press Not-at-Nationals Pitch Session.
3) The manuscript cannot be one that has previously received a pass letter from us.
4) The manuscript cannot be one that is currently under review with another Harlequin imprint
5) You may pitch more than one project.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
1) Post your pitch as a comment on the “Carina Press Not-at-Nationals Pitch Session” blog post which is where the editors will be monitoring the pitches. this blog post will go live on July 23, 2014 9am Eastern.
2) Please do not post pitches for one book in the same blog comment. Enter a separate comment for a new book pitch
3) Please do not post your pitch for the same book more than once
4) Watch for a reply from a Carina Press editor.
5) If an editor lets you know that they’d like to see your submission and your manuscript is NOT currently on submission with us:
a) The editor will contact you via your email address which is required to comment on the blog post. Please be sure to use a valid email address for this purpose
b) Please follow the submission guidelines here and include all required information via the received Submittable link.
If more than one editor asks for your submission, you may choose which editor to send to, though you may also wish to indicate the second editor who had interest, in case the first editor chooses not to read it.
d) Send your submission no later than July 31, 2014 midnight Eastern. The link you receive will expire after that, and you will be unable to submit via this route.
NOTES ABOUT CARINA PRESS NOT-AT-NATIONALS PITCH SESSION
- You don’t need to direct your pitch to a specific editor. The editors participating will be monitoring the blog comments throughout the day. However, if you want to bring it to the attention of an editor you think it’s particularly suited for, you are welcome to do so. At the bottom of this post is a list of participating Carina Press editors.
- Please don’t post your pitch more than once on the blog. This includes not changing your pitch five times and posting it five different ways, please. This allows all authors equal opportunity to be seen. Thank you!
- An updated list of what different editors are looking for is available here. You can see editor bios here.
- Information about what we publish, our submissions guidelines and specific FAQs can be found here.
- Feedback is welcome! Please email us at email@example.com if ever you have specific, constructive feedback you’d like to share.
ONE LAST (VERY IMPORTANT) NOTE:
Even if your pitch isn’t selected by an editor, that doesn’t mean your project isn’t right for us. In the end, it’s the words you write in the story that will get us to acquire the book, not the words you wrote for the pitch, so if you’ve written something we publish, please still submit it to us. Your chances of having the manuscript acquired are just as good as those whose pitches we single out.
*Permission to forward this post, use it on blogs and author forums is permitted.*
Submit your pitch in the format below (go to the link to land on their website). Please be sure that your query and first 100 words/first paragraph adhere to the word counts below.
Manuscript Word Count:
200 maximum word query:
First 100 words or first paragraph of your story:
Editors participating in the pitch session:
Deborah Nemeth @DebNemeth
Alissa Davis @AlissaDenay
Melissa Johnson @MelissJohnson
Tina Burns @TinaBurns